Sunday, April 03, 2005

Venezia.

WOW.

There is really no other way to describe Venezia.

Patrick already told you everything thing we did, so I'm just going to skip that part and go into what I thought and what I loved about the city that will hold a special place in my heart.

The cabinet that we stayed in reminded me of Hollow Rock. It was great! (Well except for the part with no heater, but I stole Patrick's covers from him - with his permission of course... he said he didn't need them because he is such a hot guy. *groan*)

The city was gorgeous! I wish we had more time to just wander without having to worry about catching a train, but we saw everything we wanted to see in the short time we were there.

Picturesque streets lined with shops of all types. From souvenirs to food, to local products such as bath supplies (similar to Bath & Body Works). The tangy smell of salt water in the air. The sounds of crowds wandering in the streets talking in every language imaginable.

The lack of cars and bikes to dodge and watch out for was a great reprieve. Due to the large number of bridges most with stairs and the large crowds, it is impractical to try to ride a bike around town like we have seen in many other European cities. We did see a couple of children on rollerblades and skateboards in some of the squares and wondered what it would be like to grow up in Venice where there are no yards to play in or even much green at all (we did find a total of 3 trees and a small patch of grass in our meanderings).

One day I hope to return to Venice. Maybe I'll aim for Carnival which usually takes place in February, or late summer. Who knows.

No comments: