Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Banquet.

So, we got off the bus and after some confusion about where on earth we were going (Truism 19: Wandering around a Roman restaurant in a group all in costume will make the locals look at you funny) we found our seats for the "Groupo Historico Banquet Thingy."

We really had no idea what this event was going to be like, and it was a pretty cool event, I'll admit.

First off, the food was excellent. We started with a lovely antiPasto dish of several different meats, artichoke hearts, and all sorts of other goodies (I stole several foods from those of the people sitting to my left and right (The Magical E! and QoD, respectively). Hipster was sitting on the other side of The Magical E! which will be a factor in a few minutes, when I start discussing the dancers.

After that, a course of pasta (outstanding), then a course of chicken or pork and carrots (lovely), and then a course of a really wonderful dessert which I consumed and have already forgotten.

All this was mixed in with a sort of floor show, consisting of speeches, a beauty pageant, concert, and dance numbers all mixed in together.

The show started with a group from Germany that is part band, part archeological research group, and they were very cool. They played several different pieces using traditional instruments and did some of the dances as well.

They were following by the parading of 20-some-odd competitors in the "Who will be the next Athena?" competition which is held every year.

Many of them were very cute, and Hipster and I began running commentary about which ones were most adorable and which were off-the-charts attractive.

Thus, the permanent mental scarring to The Magical E! was probably begun. Already she had been unsettled by our time in Greece (courtesy of Vickie, even I saw more models of male posteriors than expected) and her seat between us probably did little to keep her sane.

It got worse though, when the ancient dance troupe (whose name, I'm sad to say, has been misplaced) began performing.

Now, I should point out at this point that I'm a dancer, trained for ballroom but with an appreciation for almost all forms of dance (with the possible exception of the bump-and-grind style most popular in clubs--it's both ugly and mundane). As such, any dance exhibition (be it ballet, belly, or ballroom) is absolutely riveting to me. In this case, the traditional dances performed were from the canons of such groups as priestesses and courtesans, performers who relied on the salacious nature of the dances to capture the attention of men both rich and powerful.

As such, most would say I was leering. I categorically refute that statement. I was observing! Closely.

Heh.

So anyway, since we already had a running conversation going, Hipster and I grew no less bawdy when the dancers arrived. We were impressed, and our commentary reflected that, via praise of both their abilities as dancers and their attributes as women.

Not, I think, inappropriately, but certainly in a direct and honest manner.

At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I think we unnerved the girls by being so honest about our opinions though. I think they are more used to men who do their best to steal their glances between comments about how they don't care, and how their current girlfriends are way more attractive to them, and etc. Since we were both single, and direct, we surprised them.

In any case, the dancers (who did several cool numbers, including one with scarves and one very awesome one with candles in little clay pots) were quite skilled, and I applaud their work. Bravo, say I!

In all, I don't think the banquet was worth what we paid for it though, and if I could do it over again, I'd probably skip the entire event. But that's just me.

In any case, the show and dinner were great, and we enjoyed ourselves.

Thankfully we managed to catch the bus back, and arrived to find our rooms cold, but at least we had blankets (the rest of us having been furnished with them) and promises of hot water and heat the following day.

Little did we know how badly we'd need them.

1 comment:

E-mil said...

I stand corrected -- you ARE still updating! Yay! ^^' And for the record, I was only TRULY unsettled when there was an "Mmmm..." in my ear. Eeek...

And actually, I'm used to guys who would've just drooled. There may be one or two that would've embarrassedly stared at the table until the dancers left, but... well... ^^; at least the commentary kept me awake.