Friday, April 01, 2005

Palaces, Bullfights, and Cathedrals.

Following our morning walk to the existing wall we walked back towards the center of town, stopped for lunch, and eventually made our way back to Internetia to update the Road.

We had, by now, sampled a great deal of the city and enjoyed its feel, but already the call to wander was tugging at our hearts again and we had reservations on an overnight train from Sevilla to Barcelona that would leave town at 10pm.

So, with a handful of hours left, we deliberated about our interests. 80 had noticed some advertisements for one of the Flamenco shows that was near the train station and let out early enough that we could still catch our train. While I adore the Latin dances there were some items left in the city I wanted to photograph before I departed, so we parted paths. She for the Flamenco show, me to attempt to capture a last few images before the sunlight kissed the rooftops for the last time that day.

The Cathedral Posted by Hello


I walked west through the city to the river, taking pictures as I went of the cathedral (sadly I arrived too late to gain access to it or the tower), and then moving on to the Plaza Del Toros, one of the largest and most well known bullfighting arenas in the world. It stands proud and stoic overlooking the river. Almost appearing to be a defiant last remnant of a world we now think of as uncivilized, but remaining dignified even in the midst of its violent purpose.

Plaza de Toros Posted by Hello


From there I walked south, past the Cuban square, and on to the Plaza de Espana, site of a couple of films and absolutely breathtaking. Hopefully at our next stop I will be able to share some pictures with you all.

The Facade of the Plaza de Espana


A Tower at the Plaza de Espana


Looking out from the Center


Posted by Hello


I'll get 80 to update you on the beauty of the Flamenco, and her meeting with three South American theological students in her next post.

Then you'll get to hear about Portbou ("The loveliest lunch in the world.") Southern France ("Well isn't this Nice!") and beautiful, surreal Venice ("I haven't seen a car in 24 hours.")

No comments: