Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Trains vs. Planes

Now the time has come to leave you
One more time, oh let me kiss you
And close your eyes and I'll be on my way.

Dream about the days to come
When I won't have to leave alone
About the time that I won't have to say.

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go.

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane
I don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go.

I've seen that exact mental image time and again at the train stations we have frequented on our travels through Europe. I haven't been in many airports on this trip, but so far we've been in over 25 different train stations and I almost always see a scene of lovers saying goodbye.

It's not something I have seen much of in the States because I haven't traveled on trains there, and the US airports with their heightened security prevents lovers from staying together until the last possible minute.

But here, it's not uncommon to see a couple stealing the last possible second together. A passionate goodbye kiss before one lover boards the train. The lover that has to remain behind follows the one that must leave to a window. The window is lowered. The longing to remain together is palatable.

The train slowly pulls out of the station and as the one on the train blows their lover a kiss, the lover left behind can't seem to help but take a step forward, as if they want to run alongside the train.

Very moving.

The type of scene that begs to be shot as a black and white photograph so that the colors don't distract from the poignant emotions expressed in the lovers' body language.

No comments: