Friday, March 25, 2005

Paris: City of ...

Lights. Lovers. Wonders.

Wow, what to say about Paris?

I think it stole a part of my heart when I wasn't looking.

Watching the sunset over Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower, was a glorious sight.


Sunset over Paris.

We decided that since we were already up there, we would wait until dark to get some night shots of Paris. The City of Light. While the night was cold, the view we had of Paris was one that we would have regretted missing.


View of the Arc de Triomphe at night


I was practicing my night photography here. I was really pleased with the way this one came out, especially since I was operating without a tripod.


Paris At Night

We managed to snag another tourist on top of the Eiffel Tower to take this group shot. From left to right: Patrick, Adrienne (me), Casey, and John.


Group Shot Looking Over Northern Paris


Eiffel Tower At Night

Patrick showed me the basics to the Paris metro, and then let me navigate from one point to another, which was a lot of fun. I think I only got us lost once. (The blessed thing about Paris metro: you can't get lost.... at least not really... you just spend more time on it than you originally planned.) Metro map here.


Paris Metro

The gorgeous Notre-Dame. The inside was gorgeous, but it almost felt wrong to take pictures of the inside.

Random Fact: Notre Dame is 130 meters long, 48 meters wide and 35 meters high. Its pillars have a diameter of up to 5 meters and its rose windows have a diameter of 10 meters. The twin towers culminate 69 meters (386 stairs) above the ground. The south tower houses the 13 ton Emmanuel Bell.


Notre Dame

On our walk back from Notre Dame, while the others shopped nearby, I wandered the bridge over the Seine River, and caught this sunset.


Sunset over the Seine River

Sacré Coeur. Sacred Heart. Notre Dame was gorgeous, but Sacré Coeur was my favorite cathedral that we visited. Sacré Coeur wasn't as large as Notre Dame, but the inside was brighter, and had a more welcoming feel to it.

Random Fact: The interior of the church contains one of the world's largest mosaics, and depicts Christ with outstretched arms.


Sacré Coeur at night

Right behind the Sacré Coeur is a shopping district known as Montmartre. Here you could find restaurants and painters toting their wares, and artists such as the guy below who will paint/sketch your likeness (for a pretty penny of course).

Random fact of information: The bishop St. Denis, the priest Rustique, and the archdeacon Eleuthère were all decapitated here around the 250 AD giving the area the name "Mont des Martyrs" which is where Montmartre derives its name.


Painter in Montmartre

Patrick caught this picture of a harmonica player who was playing near the Sacré Coeur.


Nighttime Serenade

They teach children to dance at a young age in France. Too bad I couldn't convince anyone to join me in joining them. Maybe next time.


Children Dancing at Versailles

So we got tired of taking 'nice' and 'normal' pictures, and this is the result.


Goofing off in front of the Louvre

No comments: