Saturday, March 19, 2005

Only Patrick.

So we found a hostel in Köln and decided to crash for a couple of hours there before we wandered the city. We fell asleep by 3, after cleaning up, making our beds up, etc. Since neither one of us had set and alarm (since that would involve trying to find our alarm clocks and by that time I don't think we cared) and decided the fist person awake would wake the other.

The next thing I know it is 6 pm and even though I wanted to go back to sleep for a couple of hours, I didn't fall back asleep immediately. So I resigned myself to getting up and waking Patrick too, since he wasn't up yet either.

Boy was that an experience.

When he woke up, I told him that it was 6 o'clock. He started talking and whatever he said, while sounding like it should make perfect sense, managed to lose me. I'm pretty good at following jumps in the conversation, but whatever he was talking about made no sense to my still slightly sleep deprived brain. So I asked him to repeat what he said.

He did. Almost word for word. That confused me even more, because I figured if he was still asleep then he wouldn't be able to repeat what he said.

I must also note that by this time he was sitting up in his bed.

Anyways, since I still couldn't figure it out, I decided that if it was important enough, he would explain it.

About 2 minutes later I asked if he wanted to look over our Eurail maps and decide where we wanted to go on Friday. He mentioned (and pointed) to the train station right outside the window of the hostel, and how we could get on that to go to another part of town. My brain while more coherent, still couldn't understand him. What did planning where we were going to go on Friday, have to do with the train station in Köln?

I thought mazbe he had read something about Köln & knew something that I didn't, so I asked him to explain. He starts to describe what I thought was the London Underground, so I asked:

"The Tube?"

"Yes."

"Um, Patrick... we're no longer in London. Where do you think we are and where are we going?"

He never did answer the where we are question, but as for the where we are going, I got a confident California as he laid back down in bed.

By then I figured he had NO idea what was going on what-so-ever, and so I told him that I was headed downstairs to get on a computer, and could I have the key? After digging the key from his pocket (he knew wehere the key was located on the first try, but thought we were headed to California?) I received the only sane/coherent question/statement that he had made since I had awaken him.

"I may join you in a bit or I may lay down a little longer."

"That's fine."

"Are you leaving the building?"

I answered "no" as I closed the door to the room and chuckled as I headed downstairs.

Only Patrick.

No comments: