Monday, March 28, 2005

From Skiing...

After being fitted the night before with skiing apparel, Philippe, Patrick, and I were off to ski Mont Blanc. I'll admit I was a little on the nervous side. As a Floridian, I prefer my water to be in the liquid stage, not frozen.

We rented ski boots for the both of us and a set of skis for me (I was originally going to borrow a pair of the Lux's skis, but the guy at the rental place said that since I was a beginner, I should probably use a shorter set, so Patrick used the pair I was going to).

So we drive to the slope, and take a gondola up to the top, admiring the views on the way.

I started to get a little nervous. I've been skiing before, both times in North Carolina, and the most recent time nearly acquired a broken leg as a souvenir. This was the ALPS. According to Google, Mont Blanc (where we were skiing) is roughly 400 meters taller than the tallest point in the Rockies. ACK!

So we get to the top and put on our skis. It's just flat enough that you have to use your ski poles to get from the gondola lift to the slope. I manage to get to the slope fine, but stopping in front of the slope was another story, so I did the one thing I knew was guaranteed to get me to stop. I fell.

Before we started down the slope, Philippe showed me how to do the "snow plow." I really think there is another easier way to stop. Either that or skiers have tight rears and great looking legs.

So with the basic stopping principle explained, we were off.

Well sort of.

I had the hardest time getting myself to start the slope. It wasn't as gentle a slope as I was hoping for to begin on. From where I was standing it looked like a 50 degree downward slope from where I was standing. A little intimidating. Especially since stopping was still an iffy thing.

Somehow I got to the bottom of that first part of the slope, although stopping was completed using the tried an true method of falling.

About a quarter of the way down the slope and 30 minutes and multiple falls later, Philippe decides that the best way for me to learn is to hold onto his shoulders and ski behind him as he skis down the slope.


Learning to ski Posted by Hello

THAT WAS GREAT! I didn't have to worry about navigating, I learned how to turn using the snow plow method (similar to water-skiing but a lot different too), and I didn't fall half as much.

Patrick was a different story. See, when we first started skiing, Patrick was holding his day bag with our waters and cameras as he went downhill, but the bag was knocking him off balance every time he tried to turn to the right (clockwise). While that would be a great excuse for the picture below, that is not the case. . .

After the first fifteen falls in as many meters, we took the bag from him to help his turns. After that he did better, except for a slight propensity to hurtle backwards down the hill using his jacket as a sled.


Direct quote: "This is my best pose." Posted by Hello

After traversing the slopes 3 times in about 2 and a half hours (just a note, if anyone tells you it's like waterskiing, they were lying) we headed back to the wonderful lunch that Martine had prepared for us.

Additional story from Patrick:

At one point on my second run (er, tumble) down the slope, I found myself wiping out (back first down the mountain, as above) next to a intermediately skilled couple from an English speaking country. I couldn't place their accents at the time (my ears were filled with snow) but I'd guess probably New Zealand or Australia. In any case, they asked me if I was ok and I said yes, and we had the following conversation.

Me: "It's a new method, called falling down the mountain."

Him[playing along]: "Oh, sure. What style?"

Me: "Backwards!"

Both of them: Laughter.

Ten minutes and 100 meters down the slope, I found myself hurtling past them with my shoulder and head leading the way down the hill in my usual pose. As I skipped and skidded through the snow to their right, I called out: "See, backwards!" to laughter and applause from my surprised fellow skiers.

Well, better skiers, I suppose I should say. :-)

No comments: