Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The Last Onsen Breakfast and arrival in Kanazawa, plus dinner at Fuwari!



WEEP YE MORTALS, FOR WE HAVE COME TO THE END OF TIMES.  This is our last meal (breakfast) in Kusatsu.  I was quite sad to see the traditional feasting culminate. 

But the truth is we found equally amazing food(of a very different nature) in Kanazawa.  Which is what happened next!


We wound up taking a bus, and three trains (one local, and two shinkansen--Japanese bullet trains) to get to Kanazawa.  It was a lovely trip.  I'll pull pictures from the other camera later.


When we got to our hotel, I was delighted to find it was a hipster paradise.  A tiny cafe in the entrance sold drinks made with various home-made infusions.



My room was the first time I really felt like maybe I was too big for Japan.  Up until then it hadn't been too noticeable, but the doors, which were around 180 cm, definitely reminded me that I was tall for my environment.


We stumbled across a super-legit record store while hunting for dinner.  If you're curious about that, I recommend you ask me, I didn't take pictures, and . . .it was a complicated place.

For dinner we wound up sneaking in a table before they filled up with reservations, just for an hour, at a little place called Fuwari.  It was sort of. . . high end Izakaya food, so we drank and ate our way through their delicious menu.

Mochi pizza.

Zucchini in the back, and. . . I forget what in the front.

really good friend oysters, almost the size of my thumb.  It turns out one of my traveling companions has a hereditary fondness for fried oysters he gets from one of his parents.  We ate them every night we were in Kanazawa and they were consistently amazing.

Ginger wrapped pork.  That item at the center of the spiral is a spring of pure ginger, and the spiral of ham was wrapped in pork belly and grilled. They were incredibly tender and delicious.

GARLIC.

That's a couple of whole roasted heads of garlic.  We speculated they might have been put in a pressure cooker and then broiled in an oven, but we're not sure.  They were delicious.  Super smooth.

No comments: