Thursday, June 18, 2009

Osan and a Country for Old Men

Now with Pictures.

On Thursday I rose early and caught the subway out of town. Seoul's subway system is extensive, stretching for hours in every direction out of the city like an ambitious cephalopod. I caught an 'express' train to Osan, because it was one of the cheapest and quickest ways to get there. Even so, the trip took almost two hours. I was hoping to be back in central South Korea by late dinner time, so I wandered through the market for a couple of hours before returning.

Osan market has been in operation since 1792 and is one of the oldest continuously running markets in the world. Its full of food and toys and games and tools and cds and cassettes and food and fruit and vegetables and fish and rice and garlic and food. Outside the covered heart of the market, the vendors create a makeshift canopy of multicoloured umbrellas and tarps so that most of your shopping occurs in the shade. It's a throng of chattering sing-song Korean, bargaining when the price seems high and buying everything from Apples to Octopus.

Conveniently, since so much of the market vendor population is selling food, many of the actual shops that line the market are grocery stores or household goods stores. This allowed me to find some good deals on metal chopsticks that I wanted for myself.

In addition, I was hunting for a travel lunchbox set for my mother. Due to a bad misunderstanding of what my mother had described as her request from Korea, I spent most of the time in Osan hunting for a set of chopsticks that disconnected in the center to make them shorter for storage--an item which I'm almost positive doesn't exist. It made for an entertaining morning though, and after half a dozen housewares stores I had fairly mastered a combination of pantomime gestures and basic words that conveyed what I (thought) I was looking for. Once I'd gotten the point across, every shopkeeper looked at me quizzically and apologized that they didn't have what I needed.

I did get some marvellous pictures though, the market is a full of curiosities and interesting smells. I ate street food for lunch as I wandered. I can't really recommend this, as the market smells like every scent ever created, and each step will introduce you to a new one. As those of you with any anatomy training may remember, your sense of taste is highly tied to your sense of smell. This means that your maple syrup and peanut filled pancake (which is delicious, by the way) will develop additional flavours to include cherries (yum!), sesame (eh?), cuttlefish (awww man.), dried eel and garlic (ew?) and kimchi (what. the. hell.), with each step.

On the way back, I spied a vendor with a giant table of baked goods, cookies and snack cakes and rolled wafers and flat wafers and butter cookies and what looked like m&ms and even a sort of Korean Rice Krispy treat. I watched others browse (and consume his wares directly off the table as they did so) and realized that, as best I could tell, the man was selling pretty much anything you put in the basket from off the table for 2000 won per kilo, I.e.: about 75 cents a pound.

So I bought about two pounds of cookies and various interesting Korean snacks. They were really tasty, and served as train food for the next two days. When I gave him the basket, he weighed it, told me "2,000 won!" and then threw three additional handfuls of random snacks within his reach into my basket. Hurray additional snacks!

I also confirmed a suspicion I had about the Korean enthusiasm for seasonings. For most of my life, I have been under the impression that the French loved garlic. This isn't true. We like garlic, sometimes we're remarkably fond of Garlic, but we don't love it. The Koreans love garlic. The Koreans will serve it, by the whole clove, along with an dish. You're expected to eat the entire clove, fresh, as a sort of palate obliterating snack, somewhere during the meal. This is reflected in their markets, where some stations sell almost nothing except garlic of various types. They have a method of twisting it into a giant cylindrical bundle that can stand almost as tall as a man. They make for interesting photographs.

After I was done in Osan, I climbed back on the Subway to Seoul.

Major cities are floods of humanity here. eye contact is always limited, and people turn inward on public transit, like in most major cities from New York to Paris. I'm starting to believe that humanity isn't emotionally capable of creating and breaking thousands of personal connections per day indefinitely, and it's a natural defensive mechanism for us to stare at the numbers in the elevator, rather than standing in a circle and speaking to one another, or quietly thumb through a book we aren't really reading on the subway, to keep from greeting our fellow passengers. Throughout my time in Seoul, I discovered something. There were two social groups that made an exception for a young foreigner with a crew cut traveling abroad.

The first was the eternal constant: young schoolchildren. On my way to the Museum of history, I'd passed what seemed like an entire preschool on its way back from a field trip, and had been greeted with giant toothy grins, chattering hellos and "BeonSeyOhs!" and the flailing of perhaps 60 or 80 tiny arms as each group of 15 or 20 children passed me on the sidewalk. Human children are fascinated by the outsider, across all cultures and races, and the Koreans are no exception, a white giant wading through their school group (and being nice and waving and smiling back to them) was probably a greater topic of discussion when they returned home that afternoon than the dark and somber museum through which they had spent all morning wandering.

The second though, I had not expected. It was elderly gentlemen. They were generally clothed in impeccable dark suits with ties closely knotted, even in the heat of an early summer day, with the crinkled eyes that come from laughing and squinting at the morning sun, and the cool demeanour of men who have outlived two governments with as much dignity as survival would allow.

These men looked at me, with my military haircut and G.I. frame (in the boots, I'm 6" and 190lbs), and they must have seen the allies and friends of their youth. Men they served alongside in the Korean war, and trained alongside in their service to the army in the long waiting game that followed. Some were 75, barely children when the war ended and the eternal pause began, others were 90, and must have seen action throughout the conflict. All of them saw something they recognized. I could see it in their faces, a softening that comes with memories bitter and sweet. There was a certain eager light in each face at the opportunity to greet a foreigner in a language they once maintained meticulously and has long since rusted on the tongue.

These men would spy me in the train, with my backpack and baggy cargoes and combat boots, and greet me with polite questions. Where was I from? Was I in the Army? How long was I in Korea? Did I like the weather? Where was I going to visit while I was here? They never asked for my name, nor I for theirs. I think it would have been a breach, both of etiquette and memory. To them I must have been a sort of ghost--a prototype of every American boy they knew, through training and war, in days long over.

On the way back from Osan I had the most long lasting of these connections, a gentleman of 75 sat next to me all the way from Osan to my Hostel stop (by pleasant coincidence we had identical line changes). He drug up each English word with obvious pride and ponderous slowness, making every ounce of small talk available to him, weather, sites, length of stay, etc. I asked him about the game I had seen the day before, and it was he who provided me with the name Jang Gi. In the station platform while waiting for our transfer, he gave me the briefest of tutorials in Han Gul--how basic sounds were formed, and which shapes formed which sounds within some of the syllables on signs around the platform. When we boarded our second train he tried to give me his seat on the "reserved for the elderly" bench, which I refused, insisting that he sit instead.

I thanked him as warmly as I dared before I stepped off the subway, and he smiled and told me it was nice to meet me. Often it is these simple connections that make travel so interesting.

I grabbed my bag, headed back to Seoul train station, and hopped on the slow train into the heart of Korea to meet up with Mac once more.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your quest for collapsible chopsticks needed not leave the country! Behold: http://www.rei.com/product/749401
(Made in Japan)

It's interesting what you say about the older generation trying to connect with you. In Japan, I found that the 'greatest generation' tended to be polite, but keep their distance. Instead, I got the most interaction out of schoolkids (Naturally) and the 30-50 y/o crowd.

Lee Gonet said...

These are really cool chopsticks, Aaron. The short compact ones I saw originally are owned by a Koren student of mine, but they, too, are made of stainless steel!

As to the older Japanese responding differently than the older Koreans: couldn't that be because during their generation, Japan was disgraced by its actions toward us and Korea, and the 30-50 y/o crowd has had only positive relations with us? Or am I viewing history too simplistically?

Patrick said...

Interesting question.

I suppose it makes sense though. In "Confucius Lives Next Door", Reid talks a lot about the economic crash of the late 80s and early 90s. The 30-50 crowd would have been 10-30 then, usually below working age, or working jobs for low enough salaries (as I understand the Japanese economic and employment model) that they would have mainly remembered the western mania of the bubble that preceded the crash, and had positive connections through it.

As to the older generation being standoffish--I don't think that's due primarily to the disgrace/defeat at the haands of the US. After all we were close allies and poured relief money into the country throughout the fifties and sixties. I think rather, that's just the older generation of Japanese people. My understanding is that reserve is really trained into their character, and an older Japanese man would no sooner introduce himself by name the first time you meet than he would kick you in the shins.

However, Aaron has experience where I don't, so I suppose his analysis would be the most accurate. :)

Lee Gonet said...

So, does Aaron's analysis mean that older Koreans (as opposed to Japanese) are just more willing to overcome their reserve because of the reasons posted in Patrick's blog? I wish the older generation's reserve didn't prevent us from just going to the source. Sigh.

Patrick said...

Maybe.

But I also get the impression from my reading that the Japanese are just more reserved than everybody, including the Koreans, so that probably also plays a factor.

- Patrick

Unknown said...

I suspect that the older Japanese have hangups that are directly related to the war... Lee, you're not viewing history too simplistically. Consider the number of 80 and 90 year olds here that continue to have disdain towards the Japanese... The older generation still very much remembers the imperialist way of doing things, ordering things, and view towards outsiders.

Contrast... the 30-50 year olds came of age during a time of massive western cultural influence, and have a lot to do with the historic scrubbing of the education system. As far as they are concerned, Western tourists (tourists, mind you... not residents) are cool and should be asked where they're from and why they came to Japan at every opportunity. (If you try living there or marrying their daughters, heaven help you)

Weirdly, as a collective the Japanese do tend to be pretty standoffish at any age... individually, not at all. On a cultural level, 'the race' is still a massive in-group, and everyone else is simply the out-group. It really doesn't matter if you speak better Japanese than the Japanese, and have the most beautiful Kanji handwriting ever... you're still just another Gaijin as far as the collective is concerned.

I suspect that if you were Japanese, visiting Korea, you'd receive a much different welcome from the older generation... To this day, there isn't a lot of love lost as far as I know.