Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chang Mai

The next day and a half I spent in Chang Mai were frustrating and rewarding and the same time. It seemed like every good thing had happened had to be preceded by something wretched or frustrating. This is a feeling that tends to sour ones opinion of a city, which is unfortunate because Chiang Mai is actually quite a nice little town.

I was given bad directions at my hostel that cost me my entire first morning wandering about four kilometers out of my way through the campus of Chang Mai university, but then I got to one of the best city overlooks in Thailand and the sun came out and I had a wonderful view of the center of the old city.



I couldn't find a decent rental bicycle near my hostel location, and I wandered all the way through town instead, worn out and frustrated by the fact that some really excellent ruins were marred by the addition of bright yellow guardrails and tension lines, but then I found a place that served really incredible five-star Kao Soi, Chang Mai's signature dish, for about $1.80 US.

I spent two hours dodging frog ladies and massage girls trying to find a specific item in the local market and couldn't, but in the process I found several other gifts that were perfect for other people that I couldn't have found anywhere else.

Tomorrow, I have signed up for one last adventure before I leave for the Philippines--a cooking class. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Phil said...

I've been meaning to ask you this for the last few posts but keep forgetting.
Did I miss something or didn't you say you were going to post the pics in a bigger format? When I click through on them they are just as small as the ones in the text. There are several pics I have wanted to look at more closely, but no deal... oh well, c'est la vie. At least we can keep up with you somewhat...
Have fun and see you in a few weeks!

Patrick said...

Fixed for this post.

Sorry about that. I have to tell the blog entries to correct the sizing of each picture by hand, and sometimes I forget. I'll try to be more consistent from here on, but if I miss any, you can expect they'll be fixed properly when I do the inevitable full up edit session a couple weeks after I get home.